Friday, 22 June 2012

Foam Core


What’s it good for?

Lots. 

Like most people I bought the stuff with the intention of making buildings out of it. And I did. Not the super fortresses and tower blocks I had initially envisioned, though I did make a few attempts at the former, but some decent small dwellings. At this stage I was still working with 25/28mm scale figures.


Then I wanted to build a drop ship. My sketches kept throwing up something similar to the ISSCV from "Space Above and Beyond" 


But simpler. Then came the realisation that I was no good with large sheets of styrene. Added to this I was drawing on 5mm grid graph paper and the switch to 5mm foam core seemed obvious.


 

Back on topic. My drop ship was big, and simple, and never got finished. I ran into creative issues. Basically I couldn't work out how to attach engines, or where I was happy putting the rear landing gear. I worry about these things.

Next came a smaller attempt. again lots of foam core and matt board. It came to a halt when I couldn’t work out how to detail the engines.

 

As a side note I built a second model base on these plans, but this time using 3mm foamed PVC. All dimensions were scaled by 3/5, and voilà scaled for 15mm figures.

The next task for foam core is my biggest unfinished project. The Dragon SDB. Though to me it is always The Wolverine, as that’s the name of a ship that was always being dangled in front of my Traveller character. Its internal structure is formed out of foam core. Again it was designed for 25mm, and it is rather large. 


Few pictures there, but more some other time.

My final attempt to build a drop ship with this material never got beyond the basic skeleton. It is a poor copy of a paper model which I thought would be much more sturdy if I built it out of foam core and styrene. I put it down as a learning experience. 


Anyone know what it is yet?

Still need to perfect attaching images, formatting is not quite how I would like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment