This would be my most
recent large project. Obviously it started with me studying all the
published versions of the old Traveller, Mega-Traveller, New Era...
basically all the deck plans I could find.
There are also two
basic shapes out there. The traditional very angular wedge, and the
slightly flatter and curved version that I think belonged to the D20
incarnation.
But I'm old and the one
I wasted my teenage years with was the wedge, so that’s what I went
for. Now as anyone who has studied the plans knows, they don’t
really work. So I got out the graph paper and started trying to work
up something that looked OK, and I could build.
|
scanned version of my
sketch with some paint-shop to make it readable.
Dimensions in mm
|
I decided the simplest
solution was to go for a series of diamond shaped bulkheads with the
floors and walls spacing them out. Styrene sheet is probably the
usual favourite, but as this is a scenery piece I wanted it strong,
so I built it out of foamed PVC. There is also a load of it lying in
my drawer. Internal structure is 3mm, the outer skin is 2mm.
so here are the diamonds sketched, then cut out.
| and the cargo bay floor |
Now I know scouts
didn’t really have much of a cargo bay, but you always need a cargo
bay for troops to storm in through, or for an alien menace to hide.
So that’s the
innards. Didnt take any pictures until the outer skin was on. But now
you can see the cargo bay, engineering off to each side, and a bridge
raised up near the front.
| cargo bay |
| bridge |
The landing gear needs
finished, but there is a start made on the skids and the basic struts
are in place, but wrapped in masking tape.
And how it looks now. Thanks for all the people on TMP who said they liked it. But it still is an unfinished project. Internal detailing, landing gear, engines, and painting to complete.
I will get it done eventually.


Thank you for the detailed build pictures. It makes a lot of sense, now.
ReplyDelete- David
John,
ReplyDeleteThis is a project I had wanted to take on myself but have been lacking materials such as what you have been using. Would you be open to selling this scout model - I would of course give you all of the credit for the build and design even after I had completed the project. You can contact me privately at scspieker at yahoo (dot) com for further discussions one way or another.
Thanks,
Scott
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteI would really like to acquire this model and I was hoping that we might be able to come to some agreement. Would you be willing to part with it for the right offering?
Thanks,
Scott